Monday, June 25, 2012

Larger Than Life

If anything, my taste in interior design is simple and classic, bordering on conservative.  I have trouble with anything that's unusual or a little bit 'out there.'  I love sleek lines and muted tones, and as I've said before, in terms of interior design, there's a lot to be said by keeping it simple.  However, a lot of big 'features' in rooms have been catching my eye in design magazines lately, and it's got me thinking.  I was discussing renovations with a workmate the other day, and she was telling me about the converted dairy she lives in.  Her bedroom is mainly white, however she has an enormous black chandelier in the centre of the room.  Whether I like it or not, people are getting more adventurous with statement pieces - and often with great results.


A feature chair in a neutral room serves as a bold point of interest

 

In an otherwise pure white kitchen, the bold move of continuing the sleek floorboards to the splashback pays off without being over the top.  Note how the earthy wood colour is even tied in through the lampshades.

 

A beautiful chandelier serves as the centrepiece of the sparse room above.



As you can see above, art can become a statement in an otherwise neutral room.

Exposed internal brick walls add a rustic and unfinished industrial feel

 
I often think feature walls are for the daring and stupid.  They can turn out either heavy looking and overly obvious, or the nail is hit directly on the head and they look elegant and clever.





 

The wallpaper in the above room is a bold feature in itself.  Notice that the rest of the room has been left quite simple as not to overwhelm the eye.


If you want something less committal, a picture feature wall can look equally amazing.




Simply integrating a few touches of one bright colour adds an interesting detail also...




 

 
Even if you want to keep it simple and classic, interior design doesn't need to be safe or boring.  What I'm learning is to be brave and clever with what I choose when putting rooms together.  Points of interest and pops of colour, when done right, can only add to how a room feels.  It says something about you, and adds personality.  And that's what makes it home!

Thanks for reading,
Joanna





No comments:

Post a Comment