Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Home Sweet Home

In our early twenties, the move away from our parents' home is a little bit like embarking on a long trip.  You leave with a bag or two, commune with others in the same situation, and build your own temporary home until it's time to move on again.  You return to mum and dad's when you're in need of clean, crisp sheets to sleep on, washing done and a Sunday roast (as well as a little cuddle when it all gets a bit tough).  I remember leaving home and spending all my money on a beautiful bed and expensive mattress, but that meant I had to sit on the floor every day to put my makeup on, as I ran out of funds for a dressing table.  My roommate had some questionable looking couches with sheets over them, which we consumed our microwave meals on while watching TV.  Our overgrown backyard had a resident rat that would brazenly venture too close to the back door for my liking, until he (or she) was one day swiftly consumed by a kookaburra.


Independence.  And not much furniture.
  
When my husband-to-be and myself moved in together, we rented a little apartment by Bondi Beach, and took great pride in our new abode.  We bought a vacumn cleaner.  Some Ikea furniture.  A chopping board and a toilet brush.  Two years later we bought our own home in Melbourne, and somewhere in the transition, I found I had changed.  An overgrown backyard bothered me.  I bought myself a microfibre duster.  We hung pictures in each room.  'Good God,' we said to each other, 'when did we become grown ups?'

When we were 25, it was grown up to own a dinner set.  Now we're thirty, we need a nice dinner set.  We built a home together, but now that we are almost married, it's time for an upgrade.  This was at the forefront of my mind as we set up our bridal registry at David Jones last week.  What key items should we choose, and what do we really need in our home?

A good dinnerset is a must.  Donna Hay has brought out a beautiful line with Royal Doulton, which was at the top of my list.  The chipped Maxwell Williams dinnerset served us well, but it's time to move on.  These contemporary pieces are classic with a slightly modern edge, and part of a functional line of kitchen items available through Donna Hay's Corner Store in Sydney's Woollahra, or at David Jones.


 
Gordon Ramsay does a great line of bakeware which is also available at David Jones.  When making a casserole or lasagne, these come in really handy.  They're also dishwasher safe, which is a bonus in our household.

 

 
Wedgewood wine glasses are crafted from fine crystal, and are beautiful when toasting a special occasion. 


For everyday use, Country Road have a good selection of wine glasses, as do Riedel.  Riedel is especially cheap at Target in the States.


 
You'll use quality pots and pans for years to come, so good ones are always a great investment.  I've talked about DeLonghi's retro-inspired line of kitchen appliances before - they're a great stylish yet functional addition to any kitchen.


Another fundamental appliance for any kitchen is a serious coffee maker.  George Clooney says 'Nespresso', while my beloved says 'Rancilio.'  Up to you.

 

I can't go past Sheridan for quality towels and linen, which come in countless colours and styles. 





 
As I've said before, I really believe that it's the little things that make your house a home. Here are a few of my favourite small things:


Donna Hay's beautiful tea towels


Ecoya Candles


Sid Dickens Memory Blocks - they're heavy, so you'll need a nail to hang them

 

I adore lamps - they can make or break a room.  I would love this one from Moooi


Stay warm,
Joanna










2 comments:

  1. Hi Joanna, this is a fab post! So true about moving from just having things to having 'nice' things. What a GREAT idea to have a range of these 'nice' things on your bridal registery, I get so tired of going to weddings where you get sent the poem on how they've lived together and have everything they need so they'd just like the cash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this blog. Some great ideas - thanks.
    Cate

    ReplyDelete