Sunday, January 1, 2012

Useful and Beautiful

As a child, my bedroom was a hoarder's paradise. Little scraps of paper, trinkets and old books were stashed in all available spaces, never to be seen again.  I wouldn't open cupboards or drawers for fear my precious booty would come tumbling out.  Everything was important, everything (even if it hadn't been uncovered for seven months) was treasured. 'If it's not useful or beautiful,' my mother finally advised, 'I suggest you don't keep it.'  Sage advice.

As an adult, I still stop and consider: is this useful or beautiful?  Or even better, is it both?  Things in our homes should make us feel good, make our little hearts swell with happiness when we walk in the door.



Royal Doulton aroma reeds in Cotton Blossom - I have mine in the bathroom


Try grouping perfume bottles together on an elegant silver tray

Teacups are now not just for ladies who lunch - T2 do a beautiful and affordable range from Middle Eastern-inspired to Japanese



All natural Ecoya candles, made in Australia - my favourite is Wild Frangipani


This new year, look at your belongings.  Useful or beautiful?  Consider having a clean out and start 2012 with a home that fills you with comfort and happiness, not stress and clutter.

Happy new year,
Joanna 

No comments:

Post a Comment